Landmark Prize for Fiction
Homebound Publications’ 2016 Landmark Prize for Fiction has closed. The results can be found here.
The 2017 Landmark Prize season is now open.
At Homebound Publications, we publish books written by independent voices for independent minds. Our titles focus on a return to simplicity and balance connection to the earth and each other, and the search for meaning and authenticity. As an independent publisher, we strive to ensure that the mainstream is not the only stream.
We are seeking both with special focus on spirituality, travel, history, personal growth, and ecological. Authors representative of the work we seek would be: Barry Lopez, Joanna Macy, Gary Snyder, David Abram, Mary Oliver, Rainer Maria Rilke, Annie Dillard, David Whyte, Cheryl Strayed, Jack Kerouac, Walt Whitman, and Henry David Thoreau.
Deadline for entries is January 1st, 2018. On February 15, 2018 we will announce one winner from the entries as well as a finalist and honorable mentions, (some or all of which may be offered publication). The winning manuscript will be published by Homebound Publications in late 2018. While there is no cash prize at this time, the winning author will be offered a generous 20% royalty contract and receive 10 free copies of the final book to help further their promotional efforts. The winning author/book will also receive a feature spread in Homebound Publication’s biannual journal, The Wayfarer: A Journal of Contemplative Literature.
The winner and finalist(s) will be published worldwide. Our books are distributed via publisher-direct and Ingrams. We have printing bases in the USA, UK, and Australia, allowing us to dispatch copies around the world when there is demand. The winning book will be released in paperback and ebook (kindle and nook).
Entry Guidelines & Eligibility
- To enter, the manuscript must be previously unpublished.
- There is a $25.00 non-refundable reading fee.
- All entries will be considered for publication.
- Only authors who currently reside in the United States of America may enter.
- Manuscripts must be in English.
- A limited number of selections from the book may have appeared in print or online but the writer must hold sole rights to the work.
- Multiple entries by a single author are welcome but separate entry forms and fees must be paid for each entry.
- The manuscript must be between 120-200 double-spaced pages in length. (No more than 80,000 words.)
- The winner will be notified privately of their win by January 10, 2017. The winner will be publicly announced February 1, 2018 and release in late 2018.
- Employees of Homebound Publications and authors with books previously published by Homebound Publications are not eligible.
Entry by Post Mail
(Editor’s Note: While we are aware of the extra packaging required when sending via post, at this time we prefer entrants to send their submissions to us via USPS. When we complete our review of your materials, all packaging materials and paper is recycled.)
For those of you entering by post mail please include the following in your entry:
- The full manuscript
- A brief biographical statement
- Check made payable to: Homebound Publications
- Self-address stamped postcard (Should you desire confirmation of receipt of your entry.)
Post entries should be send to:
Attn: Landmark Prize
PO Box 1442, Pawcatuck, CT 06379 – 1968
United States of America
[Please note:] Manuscripts submitted to the contest via post mail will not be returned. Please do not send us the original copy of your manuscript.
To enter online, you may submit your manuscript and payment via our secure submission platform here: http://homeboundpublications.submittable.com/submit
- Please send us the full manuscript
- Brief biographical statement.
- You will be able to pay the $25.00 entry fee via Submittable’s platform.
While never done in the history of our press’ contests before, Homebound Publications does reserve the right to not choose a winner in any given year should the submissions received not meet our expectations.